Thursday, February 19, 2009

Ramchand Pakistani


My 16 months old son was not well yesterday, so I was at home with him. Switched on the TV in the afternoon and saw a man being beaten up by a policeman. Taking it to be another boring movie was about to change to channel when the next scene showed a little boy, scared and confused. Since motherhood has dawned over me any child in trouble makes my heart go out for him/her. So I continued watching. It turned out to be a very well directed and enacted movie with some good stars like Nandita Das. The little boy was Ram chand Pakistani and it was about this 7 year old and his family's misfortune. He alongwith his father had mistakenly crossed the border in to India & held by the police. What followed was the heart wrenching agony of separation of the mother and the little boy, the experience of being in jail like a criminal at a tender age as there is no provision by law for such "criminals" to be kept in juvenile homes & how the family coped up and finally got reunited after several years.


Based on a true story during a period (June 2002) of extreme, war-like tension between the two countries by two members of a Pakistani Hindu family belonging to the 'untouchable' (Dalit) caste, this movie has won several accolades.

http://www.ramchandpakistani.com/

Either I am totally cut off from the entertainment world or this movie has been very poorly publicised as it was a pleasant surprise for me to watch such a nice movie after long.


Do watch it!

2 comments:

के सी said...

very nice post, yeah its based on a true story, thanks for giving link.

n said...

Hey girl. I have tagged you as I wanna know u better still. Please oblige.