Monday, October 20, 2008

Mirch masala!

Now I know what tempts the big wigs to abuse and manhandle the media! Not that I am celebrity or I know any of them. I live in a small town and work with a NGO as a researcher. One fine day this newspaper arrives and asks me if he could include me in one of his articles for which he needed to interview women in the development sector. I readily agreed and also handed him a snap of mine! He asked me about some memorable incidents of my childhood but I elaborated none and only talked about my work profile and qualifications. He thanked me and promised coming back with a copy of the printed article in “Hindustan”. Needless to say he never turned up. i also forgot about it after sometime. One fine day when I went home from office my mother in law told me that I was in the newspaper and I was surprised. As I was wondering my brother called up and his speech was taken over by laughter. I got irritated and was about to bang the phone when he asked me giggling “sis when did you cling to a rose bush?”..i asked what are you talking about? He told me don’t you know there is an article with your photo in this newspaper and its hilarious! Now my curiosity had no bounds and I asked him to relate the whole story to me. When he did that I didn’t know how to react but frankly speaking my laughter took over my surprise and disgust. Please read on…..














Now when you are done with your laughing bouts please think and sympathise with those celebrities who are linked up, blamed, tarnished, and spied upon and what not and they have to bear all that without reacting to it publicly. If they react, the reaction becomes bigger news & the 24 hour news channels have masala for almost 2-3 days round the clock! Like the above article which has no true facts besides the ones about my work, I am sure we all read lots of such on celebs with no fragment of truth.
Its high time the media becomes a little responsible and do their bit in spreading the “right message” and not look for “breaking news” while a man is setting himself on fire in front of the camera.

2 comments:

Kanupriya said...

Now first of all let me tell you, I almost felt like dying out of laughter after reading this...
Hoboooooo Hoooooooooo
Haaaaaa Haaa Haaaaaaaaa
heeeeeeeeee heeeeeee heeeeeeeeeee...GOD!!! hum ekdam behosh ho gaye yeh padh ke!!!!!!!!!! Gulab ke ped se lipat gayiiiiiiiiiiiiiii heeeeeeeeeeeee heee heeeeeeeee
I dont have words to explain my feelings right now...............hum ekdam dhanya ho gaye tanvi jaisi mitra pake joki gulab ke phool ko bachane ke liye khud kaate se lipat gayi!!! Aakhon pe pani aa gaya...sob sob sob...ha ha ha...

Now coming down to the serious part of it - Totally agree to your point. While media has definitely helped in solving lots of hidden criminal cases but at the same time there are enough examples of media hype and irresponsibilities. Nobody can demonstrate how to make moutain out of a mole better than media who do it day in day out to get some higher TRPs, readership or eyeballs!

Amit Choudhary said...

It was a refreshing article more so because it had few glimpse of my home town which made me nostagic.

Keep writing.. I am following you..